The Surf & Boardsports Industry Association Inc (SBIA) is a non profit organisation, founded by, and run by Surf & Boardsports Retailers and Industry Brands. The association serves as the preeminent voice on a grassroots level with manufacturers, suppliers, and other associations.
The SBIA is run by its members, who through the elected Board determines policies and sets strategic goals. The Board is directed and maintains its strength and focus through the input of its members and is the public voice of the Association.
The Association’s vision is to “Support the development of the Surf & Boardsports Industry” and does this through it’s Industry Awards, forums, summits, research and communications.
The mission of the SBIA is to support the Surf and Boardsports Industry’s continued growth through our four pillars:
- Elevate, upskill and educate via industry specific news and articles shared through our newsletters and website.
- Inform and nurture through our research, meetings and roundtables.
- Celebrate and create opportunity for Australia’s best Surf & Boardsports brands, products and retailers through our annual Surf Industry Awards.
- Strengthen the links between participants, athletes, governing bodies, brands and retailers.
The objects for which the association is established are:
- To provide platforms for the discussion of industry opportunities and issues and in turn the development and implementation of strategies and policies.
- To monitor, identify and analyse issues affecting, to likely to affect, the industry and to develop solutions and provide information to its members, government and the public where desirable for the promotion of the associations objectives.
- To collect and share information on matters affecting members of the association.
BOARD OF MANAGEMENT
President: Anthony “Macka” Wilson – Saltwater Wine | Stormriders, NSW
Vice President: Jo Branch- Business Manager, ROXY Australasia
Secretary: Andy Ireland – Saltbush Surf, SA
Treasurer:Damian Campbell – Director of Sport, Luxottica Greater South Pacific
Board Member: Mark Hudson – General Manager, Dragon Alliance South Pacific
Board Member: Glenn Callegari – Hillzeez Surf Shops, WA
Board Member: Paul Burdekin – General Manager, Billabong Asia Pacific
Board Member: Neil Ritchie- Alto Sports
Independent Board Member: Russell Zimmerman – Executive Director, Australian Retailers Association (ARA)
Executive Officer: Lyndall Browning
HISTORY OF BOARD MEMBERS
Anthony Wilson Saltwater Wine | Stormriders
2011 – Present (President: 2011 – Present)
Jo Branch Business Manager, ROXY Australasia
2017 – Present (Vice President: Oct 2017 – Present)
Damian Campbell Director of Sport, Luxottica Greater South Pacific
2015 – Present (Treasurer: 2016 – Present)
Andy Ireland Saltbush Surf
2011 – 2013, 2015 – Present (Secretary: 2011 – 2013, 2015 – Present)
Russell Zimmerman Executive Director, Australian Retailers Association (ARA)
2013 – Present
Paul Burdekin General Manager, Billabong Asia Pacific
2015 – Present (Vice President: 2015 – Present)
Mark Hudson General Manager, Dragon Alliance South Pacific
2016 – Present
Glenn Callegari General Manager, Hillzeez Surf Shops
2016 – Present
Ian Macpherson Star Surf & Skate
2011 – 2016
Michael Neil General Manager, O’Neill Australia
2014 – 2016 (Treasurer: 2015 – 2016)
Michael Di Sciascio Strapper Surf and Blunt Skateboarding Co
2011 – 2015 (Vice President: 2011 – 2013, Secretary: 2013 – 2015)
Stephen Kay CEO, Rip Curl Asia Pacific
2014 – 2015 (Vice President: 2014 – 2015, Treasurer: 2014)
Geoff Backshall Managing Director, Rusty Australia
2013 – 2015 (Treasurer: 2014 – 2015)
Dougall Walker CEO, Volcom Australia & New Zealand
2013 – 2014 (Vice President: 2013 – 2014)
Shannan North Global Brand President, Billabong
2013 – 2014 (Treasurer: 2013 – 2014)
Victor Tilley Red Herring Surf
2011 – 2013 (Treasurer: 2011 – 2013)
Kurt Nyholm Akwa Surf
2011 – 2013